Estimated reading time: 0 minutes
You can’t go anywhere in Spain without seeing pan con tomate on the menu. People eat this simple tapa for breakfast, lunch, and as an appetizer for dinner. Though, you will always see it served as a tapa.
- 2 slices ciabatta or other rustic bread
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1/2 beefsteak tomatoes
- olive oil
- flaky sea salt such as Maldon or fleur de sel
- Place a box grater or other large hole grater into a large bowl. Rub the cut face of the tomato over the large holes of the box grater. The flesh should be grated off, while the skin remains intact in your hand. Discard the skin and season the tomato pulp with salt to taste.
- Either toast or broil the bread until toasted with browned edges. Before placing the bread in the toaster or oven, drizzle with olive oil and salt.
- Remove bread from oven and rub with a split garlic clove. Spoon tomato mixture over bread. Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt. Serve immediately.