Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
This sweet potato casserole dish is both an easy and a pleasing dish. Every time I have brought this to a party, people raved about it. It is the perfect dish to bring to any event as a side, especially one you know vegetarians will be present at. Additionally, it is easy to assemble and it can be easily reheated.
First, cube and boil the sweet potatoes until tender.
Next, get all of your ingredients together.
You will need a fine grater to grate the ginger. If you have never grated fresh ginger before, my strategy is the use a knife to cut off the tough skin and then cut a flat edge through the ginger to make it easier to start grating. You will find that it likes to stick to the underside of the grater- this is normal. Simply scrape it in.
Before I mash the potatoes, I usually divide the other ingredients into two bowls. This will make it easier to layer together in a few steps.
Once the potatoes are tender, it is quick and easy to mash them together. I use a hand-masher, but you can use a fork, food processor, or a mixer.
Next, you will work through the steps to mix half of the ingredients with the mashed potatoes and scoop that into an oven-friendly casserole dish. Then, you will layer the second half of the ingredients on top. Before you pop the casserole in the oven, there will be a bit of liquid, but the egg whites will bake into the casserole nicely.
The end result is just lovely and delicious.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 6 sweet potatoes (cubed and boiled until tender)
- 5 egg whites (optional, though highly recommended for texture)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (organic)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root (grated)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil sweet potatoes in pot until tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in mixing bowl.
- Mash potatoes.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients (egg white,s olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, pecans) together and divide into two bowls.
- Mix half of the ingredients in with the mashed potatoes.
- Pour the mix into a casserole dish.
- Then pour the other bowl of ingredients on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe that ToneItUp introduced in 2012 as part of their Holiday Guide.