Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Yum! I just love delicata squash. Wegman’s had a sample display a few years ago. Before that point, I had never heard of it.
Squash, in all their variety, is my favorite Fall vegetable. I love roasting it, I love pureeing it into soup and I love roasting the seeds, most of all.
Usually, I’ll use the roasting time to prepare the seeds. Once you scoop them out, you have to separate them from the membrane. I usually do this under running water, going back and forth between two bowls.
While you have to peel most squash, delicata squash is special because you can roast the squash in the skin. The skin becomes soft and is delicious.
After scooping out the seeds, you simply slice and roast in the oven.
There are probably a wide variety of spices you can use on delicata squash, but I love cinnamon and cayenne.
Then, you can roast to your hearts delight.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 3 delicata squash
- 5 tablespoons oil your choice on the kind
- 3 tablespoons salt or to taste
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon or to taste
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper or to taste
- Heat your over to 425 degrees.
- Wash 3 delicata squash.
- Slice them in half. Use a sharp knife and be careful. I usually slice down into a cutting board, one-half at a time.
- Scoop out the middle/seeds with a large metal spoon. Save the seeds- you can roast them later just like pumpkin seeds.
- Your squash should look like this. There is no need to peel delicata squash unless you really don't want to eat the skin. The skin will soften up and is delicious.
- Then, slice 1/4-1/12 in pieces and lay the pieces flat on a cookie sheet. I like to use foil; my husband prefers spraying the cookie sheet. It doesn't matter what you do.
- Next, it is time to oil and spice your squash. Drizzle, paint or spray oil on the squash. - You can use any of these methods. I have a basting brush, so I usually pour some oil in a bowl and paint the oil on. Then, sprinkle salt, cinnamon and cayenne (optional) on the squash.
- Roast the squash for 35-40 minutes. Check the squash, because all ovens are different and where you place the baking sheets or how many baking sheets your have in the oven can affect your baking time. You may like your squash simply tender, and so you may bake for less time. I love my squash crispy, so I bake until that point.