Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
I have a beautiful black lab, named Fiona. In the first month we had her, I was desperately seeking natural solutions to training treats, treating worms, and repelling fleas. This post compiles all of my favorite recipes for natural dog remedies.
Good Dog Treats
- 2 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup organic canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into small treat balls.
- Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 25 minutes.
Dog Shampoo that Doesn’t Strip Oils
- 1/2 cup Castile soap (choose any kind)
- 1/4 cup apple cider or regular vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable glycerin
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
Use a funnel to pour 1/2 cup of liquid Castile soap into a small, lidded bottle. Add 1/4 cup of either white or apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon of vegetable glycerin or olive oil, and two tablespoons of water. You can add three or four drops of essential oils if you choose. Shake the bottle gently to mix the ingredients. The soap will hold the ingredients together, but gently shake the shampoo before each use to ensure it is properly mixed.
Essential Oils for Worms
Seasonal traditional protection from the heartworms should be given to your dog from April 1st to December 1st. using: Heartguard, Interceptor…For the most common types of worms, including heartworms, roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms, there are some very safe natural therapies using essential oils.
Here are some professionally made blends that have been used to help dispel worms:
- Di-Gize Essential Oil
- PanAway Tansy Essential Oil
- Longevity Essential Oil
Place on the paws to release the parasites.
Para Free can be used for animals and contains ten different essential oils, many of which are listed above in an organic olive and sesame oil base. Several holistic vets use ParaFree in their practice. I read a case where a small dog was given 3-4 ParaFree per day to treat heartworm (along with helichrysum,enzymes, longevity and oregano essential oil).
“One capsule for a few days during the month for prevention of worms, or when I start to see some signs of tapeworm, I give her one capsule a day for three to five days.”
Essential Oils for Fleas and Ticks
Oils that are anti-parasitic are listed below. For ticks, insects and fleas. Here are some oils suggestions:
- Clove Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Fennel Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Ginger Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Idaho Tansy Essential Oil